The Arya Samaj is based on the teachings of the Vedas. These teachings are summarised in ten basic principles:
1. God is the primary cause of all that is known by spiritual knowledge and the physical science.
2. God is Existent, Intelligent and Blissful. He is Formless, Almighty, Just, Merciful, Unborn, Infinite, Unchallengeable, Beginningless, Incomparable, the Support and Lord of all, Omniscient, Imperishable, Immortal, Fearless, Eternal, Holy and the Maker of the universe. He alone ought to be worshipped.
3. The Vedas are the scriptures of all true knowledge. It is the duty of all Aryas to read them, hear them being read and recite them to others.
4. We should always be ready to accept the truth and renounce untruth.
5. All action should be performed in conformity with Dharma (righteousness), that is, after due consideration of the right and wrong.
6. The primary aim of the Arya Samaj is to do good to the whole world, that is, to promote the physical, spiritual and social well-being of all humans.
7. We should treat all people with love, fairness and due regard for their merit.
8. We should aim at dispelling “Avidya” (illusion and ignorance) and promoting “Vidya” (realisation and knowledge).
9. One should not only be content with one's own welfare, but should strive for social upliftment, realising his own benefit in the advancement of all others.
10. Everybody should subordinate themselves to the laws of society calculated to promote the well being of all; they should be free in regard to the laws promoting the individual well being.